Saturday, March 16, 2013

Second, Third, Fourth Hand...

I think I've talked on here about thrift shopping (only got 20 dollas in my pocket...) before and how I feel about it. I LOVE IT. If I can find something at a second-hand store that is a little pre-loved, I'll definitely buy it there instead of at a 'regular' store. I love the idea that this item has been owned by someone and perhaps cherished or passed around. It's a good thought. So anyways, now that I'm no longer a whining, impatient 12 year-old, my mom can stand going with me.

The other day we went around to all of the shops and kept our eyes open for anything that caught our eyes. The thing about thrift shopping, especially in a small town with limited options, is that if you have ONE PARTICULAR ITEM in mind you're most likely not going to find it (unless it is a very basic item that can be found in most second-hand stores, like kitchen items).

We got a good haul last week between St. Vincent's, the Salvation Army, and the clearance shelf at Jo-Ann's!






The two large cork-boards were 99 cents and $1.99, and I'm using them to make signs. I love a good sign, and the less announcements someone has to try and make the better. The small one was also a dollar, I think, and I can't find it so let's hope it shows up...
We also collected a few photo easels which you can't really see, to hold up all my handmade signs. These were 79 cents to $1. The box with the lady on it was a mystery box, sealed inside a bag. But it was $1 and I needed to know what was in the box. Turns out they're blank cards with the same fancy-hatted lady on the top. I'll use them as thank-you cards!
The fabric inside the box was a bundle at the Salvation Army for a I think $1, and I'm going to turn that into something-awesome-eventually-I'm-sure.
The burlap was, unfortunately, not found second-hand. But it was cheap enough for us, so you know it was pretty cheap. We now have "regular brown" burlap, dark brown, green, white, and pink which are incidentally my wedding colors. Kat loves the burlap and thinks she is Queen of the World, so that's why she's lounging all over my booty.
The trunk is one of my favorites and it will be the card box. It was regularly $60 at Jo-Ann's but we got it on sale for $15. 



My mom spotted this beautiful dish at the Salvation Army for $2.99 and we grabbed the hankies because I've started collecting them in various shades of my colors. I think they will look pretty with centerpieces or hanging from tree branches.

Sometimes you see something and you don't know exactly what it's purpose is going to be, but if you really love it you probably better grab it up! I have a small collection of items that I'm not sure how to use, but I feel confident I will find a place for them on my big day.

The most important thing to remember is that this is your wedding. What memories do you want to have of this day? What will you keep afterwards, and what will be thrown away (and consequently have been a waste of money)? Some of the crafts I've made will likely go in the trash, but other things will find a place in our homes for the rest of our lives. And it will have been worth it. These things are where you want to put your money.
If you stay true to yourself and you & your beloveds personal tastes, you will be happier in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment