Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Dress.

When a bride is planning her wedding, she looks at hundreds (if not more) of dresses. I looked at hundreds of dresses online - on Pinterest, on Etsy, on famous designer websites (hello, Alfred Angelo and Monique Lhuillier), on wedding blogs like www.weddingchicks.com & www.theknot.com, on discount sites like www.tidebuy.com and www.lovelyeveningdresses.com (these sites are worth looking at). And I fell in love with about 75% of those dresses.

The lace! The sweetheart necklines! The petticoats! The pearl buttons! The chapel trains! The ball gowns! The beads! The flowers! The high necklines! Good god, wedding dresses are cool. The more I explored the world of dress styles and designers, the bigger my eyes seemed to be. How was I EVER GOING TO CHOOSE?

Here are my tips: Have a budget. Looking at dresses outside your budget is a good idea if you are looking to find it or one just like it at a discounted/lesser price. The reason I allowed myself to go to those designer websites (like Clinton Lotter, aaah!) was because I knew I couldn't buy from their stores but maybe I could find them secondhand or, hey, even knock-off. 

Second, try dresses on to see what style you like. This can make that previous tip about not looking at dresses out of your budget a little harder to stick to. Don't go to expensive stores - this is easier for me because I don't live in a big city. I didn't try on any dresses that were out of my budget - I was going to buy online, so I tried on the styles even if I didn't like the design. There are many different silhouette styles and you don't know which looks best on your body without trying them all on.



Not to mention, of course, the various necklines/straps/train lengths, etc. Some girls know what they like and don't, and that's great. But don't expect it to stay that way, necessarily.

I knew I didn't like Mermaid style dresses, and I was right. I knew I would never wear a Mini, and I was right. But I also said I knew I would never like a Sheath silhouette or a Trumpet, and I was wrong.

Anyway, tip 3 is be true to yourself. Don't choose the one your friends like the best, or your mom or your mother-in-law or your fiance if you're the girl that takes him along...

Your wedding dress should be your favorite dress in the world that day. It should make you feel like a bride, and be something you'll look back on in thirty years and say, "Oh, I loved that dress..."

Today my mom and I went to our local wedding store, which we both really like because the service is amazing and the ladies are so kind. Not to mention they had mimosas today. I mean. Come on. That's love right there.

Anyways, we picked out way more dresses than I thought we would! The first one I tried on was the one I loved from the first time I tried on dresses. And I still loved it. It it a beautiful dress, I'll post a picture soon. Can't find it.

Next I chose to try on one that had caught my eye on the rack because of the lace on the top. It was a simple dress and a style I hadn't tried on yet. While I was in the dressing room, I felt butterflies in my stomach. When I stood on the podium, my mom and I looked at each other for a long moment before we both started to cry. It was the best feeling.

After that, I tried on a few more that I ended up also really liking. But my mom and I both kept looking at that second dress, hanging there looking so "ME", and in the end, we knew. I knew, and she knew. I tried it on again and we both cried again! SUCH WOMEN, I know! But I hear that's how it goes.

That's how I ended up buying my wedding dress today for 75 dollars. By not grabbing it off the sale rack because it was something I hadn't tried yet, and by pulling a little red ticket out of a hat that gave me a nice % off the dress. I am SO EXCITED! YAAAAAAY!


Thanks, mommy.


No comments:

Post a Comment